This sweet, savoury and spicy pecan nut recipe is perfect to make around Christmas time for a tasty festive snack all the family can to tuck into.
This recipe is not only tasty but healthy, as pecan nuts are packed full of vitamins and minerals, helping to boost the immune system.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Makes around 4 cups
1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ground cardamom
¾ teaspoon of allspice
½ teaspoon of ground cloves
¼ teaspoon of ground cayenne
½ teaspoon of fine sea salt
¼ teaspoon of black pepper
¼ cup of unsalted butter
1/3 cup of honey, preferably local
2 Tablespoon of maple syrup
4 cup of whole pecans
¼ cup of raw cane or other large grain sugar, for dusting
- Place top oven rack in the centre position and pre-heat oven to 350°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a *Silpat™ baking mat. Set aside.
- Combine rosemary, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, cloves, cayenne, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Stir together then set aside.
- Add butter to a *skillet set over medium heat. When the butter is mostly melted, add the honey and maple syrup and stir to combine. Heat for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place pecans in a large bowl and pour the melted butter mixture on top. Add the spice mixture and stir until the pecans are completely coated in both.
- Transfer the coated pecans to the prepared baking sheet and spread into a thin, single layer without overcrowding. Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, giving the pecans a good stir after 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle half the coarse sugar on top and stir to combine. Repeat with the remaining sugar and cool completely. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks. Enjoy!